I’m not able to be extremely transparent about my views about who should be in office, due to my position in the military. (I’m aware it would be easy for people to guess). I am, however, able to share my views and beliefs on political issues as long as I remind people I am only speaking for myself and not the Army.
Which is what I’m going to talk about in this post a little bit….and some of that has to do with the fact that I’m bound by my position…but a lot of it actually has to do with the fact that I don’t think party or candidate really matters right now. I didn’t cast my vote for a “candidate”, really. I cast my vote for the person who is most likely to represent my values and ideals through not only their policies….but their personal actions. I cast my vote for the person who I feel is a viable role model for our country and for the generations of younger people who are going to be bearing the brunt of whatever the results of this election are.
So…I’m just going to share a little about what I believe in and…if that points to one candidate over another…. -shrug-
- I believe in kindness.
- I believe in equity and equal opportunity.
- I believe in racial justice and equality.
- I believe in education.
- I believe in LGBTQ rights and protections.
- I believe in pay equality and women’s rights.
- I believe in peoples’ rights to life (including medical care), liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
- I believe in recognizing both challenges AND the beauty of living in a diverse country, not in stamping that diversity out.
- I believe in having competent, qualified, and trained leaders in positions of power.
- I believe in prioritizing empathy and caring for others, prior to pocketbooks.
I definitely have more beliefs and lots of thoughts on the details…but these are the biggies. And right now there are clear candidates who do or do not represent them. In my mind, these things boil down to basic human decency….so right now….I’m honestly very, very scared.
I am a bisexual woman, with a biracial son (who, by the way, is the best ever). And right now this election is NOT about….policy. Not for me. Not for my family. It’s about what kind of treatment we will receive for the next four years. What kinds of opportunities will be available (or more likely…unavailable) to us.
After this election, there is a large group of people who will be able to ignore the outcome NO MATTER WHAT IT ENDS UP BEING. We won’t be able to. We literally can’t. And that is true for millions of other people in America. I am desperate for people to realize and understand this.
I’m really scared. So, for now…I’m going to cross my fingers and hold my breath….and I’ll write again soon.
Stay safe, healthy, and happy everyone ❤